Strategic Communications Internship - Washington, DC
Our strategic communications internship provides a hands-on learning opportunity for a talented, hard-working undergraduate or graduate student interested in the field of strategic communications, media and public relations, stakeholder engagement, corporate social responsibility and/or public affairs. Candidates must be highly motivated, well-organized, excellent writers and capable of working effectively on a number of time sensitive assignments.
Candidates are expected to have a passion for communications and possess a solid understanding of industry basics, as demonstrated by coursework, previous internships, jobs or other experience. This internship is designed to provide the intern with meaningful agency experience, build skills and prepare them for an entry-level position in the field.
The internship is available full- or part-time (35 to 20 hours/week).
- Provide support for client accounts.
- Conduct research on company, client and prospective client industry issues and trends.
- Build and maintain databases, including client and issue-specific media contact lists.
- Assist with media relations by researching editorial calendars, building media lists, identifying opportunities, monitoring news outlets and collecting clips.
- Draft social media content, reports, memos, articles, pitches, news releases, fact sheets, meeting summaries, website content and other materials.
- Help develop and implement communications plans, corporate social responsibility campaigns and social media strategies.
- Communicate and interact with staff, clients and stakeholders via phone, email, and at meetings.
- Perform miscellaneous account support duties such as activity tracking, maintaining account files, and assisting with mailings and data-entry.
- Provide support to our video production work.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated interested in communications.
- Excellent writing and communication skills, strong research skills.
- Good organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Word and Excel.
- Computer literate and able to learn software programs quickly.
- Familiarity with major social media platforms.
- Knowledge of Wordpress and Buffer are a plus.
Please send a cover letter, resume and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Writing samples should be no longer than 2 pages. Non-academic samples such as essays, news articles, and blog posts are preferred.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, but we recommend you apply by:
- September 25 for fall internships
- December 15 for spring internships
- April 15 for summer internships