Strategic Communications Internship - Westborough, MA
Interns hired for the Westborough office will have the opportunity to work on projects for clients in health IT, finance, insurance, nonprofit and other industries. The position provides hands-on learning opportunities for a talented, hard-working undergraduate or graduate student interested in the field of strategic communications, media and public relations, corporate social responsibility and/or public affairs. Candidates must be highly motivated, well-organized, possess excellent writing skills and be capable of working effectively on a number of time sensitive assignments.
Candidates are expected to have a passion for communications and have a solid understanding of industry basics, as demonstrated by coursework, previous internships, jobs or experience. This internship is designed to provide the intern with meaningful agency experience and build skills for an entry-level position in the field. We encourage interns to be active in all client activities.
The internship includes a small monthly stipend.
Responsibilities may include:
- Provide support for client accounts.
- Conduct research on company, client and prospective client industry issues and trends.
- Build and maintain databases, including client and issue-specific media contact lists to be used for pitching.
- Assist with media relations by researching editorial calendars, identifying opportunities, monitoring news outlets and collecting clips.
- Draft reports, memos, articles, pitches, news releases, fact sheets, meeting summaries and website content and other materials.
- Draft client specific social media posts.
- Help develop communications plans, corporate social responsibility campaigns and social media strategies.
- Communicate and interact with staff, clients and stakeholders via phone, email, and at meetings.
- Perform miscellaneous account support duties such as activity tracking, maintaining account files, and assisting with mailings and data-entry.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated interested in communications.
- Excellent writing and communication skills, strong research skills.
- Creative problem solving and strategic thinking skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Word and Excel.
- Computer literate and able to learn software programs quickly.
- Familiarity and experience with major social media platforms.
- Good organizational skills and attention to detail.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume and writing sample to email@example.com. Writing samples should be no longer than 2 pages. Non-academic samples such as essays, news articles, and blog posts are preferred. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.